Tuesday, September 8, 2009


This is my first semester at State University. I am a DAI major, focusing on product design. Due to budget cuts I was not able to get all core prerequisite classes, for the program, this semester so I end up taking general education classes, marketing and economics. The classes do not excite me like Art classes does. The above image, taken from gettyimages.com, appropriately present an image of how I feel sometimes in these classes.
In the Top-Down visual processing high level attention is geared towards either a "cognitive driven or action driven goal", according to Vision Queries. It requires "linking and relinking" of images to complete a task. The task during class lectures is to focus on the teacher's lecture. My attention should be direct to them but because I have no interest in either classes my attention gets diverted to my cell phone (anticipating when the class will end), notes on the table, the door (for a quick exit), and back to the instructor.
The constant shifting of attention is assisted through the low level process. Low level processing, uses "features and elementary pattern analysis" and is biased towards what is being seek. The fixations are short and quick to get an "overview" of the room and task to be completed. The shifting from the cell phone, a small rectangle object, to the teacher then chalkboard, a larger green horizontal rectangle that is situated behind the teacher. Then the fixations become longer to comprehend the end task, which is to leave the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment